- DeMarcus Mitchell - Defensive End/Linebacker - Where will he play in what appears to be a defense transitioning back to a 4 front defense. He was a bright spot in a dismal defense in 2020, playing at the stand up outside linebacker position - mostly becoming a pass rusher. For me, personally, I hope we see him with his hand in the dirt on the other side of George Karlaftis this Spring. I believe those two rushing the passer would cause havoc, helping the secondary, which always needs help.
- T.J. Sheffield - Slot Receiver - Rondale Moore is headed to the NFL. Jackson Anthrop is back for a 6th year. Where does T.J. Sheffield fit? I could see him making a jump this Spring, as long as he stays healthy. With Anthrop’s injury history, we need T.J. to be ready to play, even if he doesn’t just straight up beat him out for the starting spot.
- Da’Joun Hewitt - Running Back - Rumors are brewing with the third year sophomore. It sounds like he is ready to make a jump and be an impact player in the offense. Hewitt, while only being a sophomore will be one of the older backs on the
- Greg Long - Offensive Tackle - Greg Long was a Godsend from the Transfer Market last season. He was a plug and play starting right tackle. My question is, does he move over to left tackle this spring? We have a hole there after Grant Hermanns left for the NFL. Long, who will be in his 6th season in college football, had his first fully healthy season during his collegiate career. A move to Left Tackle would be great for his pro career, if he plays well.
- The entire secondary - It has been truly a disaster since Brohm arrived. Poindexter is now gone, can Coach English right the ship this spring being in charge of all of them? The former head coach and defensive coordinator will get all the opportunities. Cory Trice will be a 3 year starter, Cam Allen will be in the same boat, Marvin grant will return as well. The number two corner is still up for grabs.
Purdue Spring Football: 5 Players to Watch
Here are a few guys I think we need to see “make a jump”.