A Purdue football legend, Big Ten Champion and 8 year NFL veteran, Akin Ayodele was kind enough to take some time for an interview! Akin, along with dozens of his teammates came back to campus a couple weeks ago to take part in a reunion for the 2000 Purdue Rose Bowl team led by the late, great Joe Tiller. A huge thank you to Akin for taking the time to do this, and for being a wonderful representative for Purdue University!
You can watch the interview using the link below, and scroll down for some more info on Ayodele and an outline of the conversation. Hope you guys enjoy, Boiler Up!
INSERT YOUTUBE LINK
Akin was an absolute terror during his time in West Lafayette, notching 29 career sacks which is good for fourth most in program history. He was also a three-time All-Big Ten performer, making Big Ten second-team in 1999 and 2000, then being named first team All Big Ten during the 2001 season.
After his time at Purdue, Akin was drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the 2002 NFL Draft. He spent 4 seasons with the Jaguars, two with the Dallas Cowboys, two years with the Miami Dolphins before he played his final season with the Buffalo Bills. Akin finished his 8 year NFL career with a line of 742 tackles, 32 tackles for loss, 9.5 sacks, 9 forced fumbles and 7 interceptions.
During the interview, Akin and I discussed:
- The 2000 Purdue Rose Bowl team reunion last Saturday.
- Reconnecting with his former teammates and coaches.
- How much Purdue has changed.
- The family culture of Purdue sports.
- Transitioning to life after football.
- His journey in entrepreneurship.
- Where he learned to become a servant leader.
- His passion for helping people through all walks of life.
- How his faith has impacted him as a leader and professional.
- Playing for his hometown Dallas Cowboys.
- His experiences in the NFL.
- And much more!