We have just started the best few weeks of college football. Bowl Season.
Yet, here I am, not writing about a bowl. Last week, we inked another top 30 recruiting class in the nation, making it two years in a row with a top 30 recruiting class.
In recent years, there has been more of an emphasis on getting some Indiana talent in the Black and Gold.
- Ryan Brandt - OLB/S - 6-1, 210 - Angola, Indiana
- Gus Hartwig - OL - 6-5, 305 - Zionsville, Indiana
- George Karlaftis - 6-5, 265 - West Lafayette, Indiana (Played extensively in 2019)
- David Bell - 6-2, 190 - Indianapolis, Indiana (Played extensively in 2019)
- Chase Triplett - 6-3, 210 - Michigan City, Indiana (Grey Shirt - Joining Team 2nd Semester)
- Elijah Ball - OLB/S - 6-1, 210 - Indianapolis, Indiana (Depth)
- Branson Deen - Defensive Line - 6-3, 255 - Indianapolis, Indiana (Depth)
- Lawrence Johnson - Nose Tackle - 6-3, 305 - Fort Wayne, Indiana (Starter)
When Coach Brohm was hired, he planned on trying to fix relationships within the state that were broken by Hazell & Hope. So far, so good. There are still signs that some of the top talent is leaving the state, but with Hartwig, Bell & Karlaftis. Coach Brohm snagged 3 Army All-Americans from our state.
So, in 2021, I see about fifteen guys who have separated themselves from the rest of the pack. What are the chances they stick around? According to 247 Sports, these are the top 15 guys from the state of Indiana for 2021:
- Blake Fisher - OL - Avon HS - Committed to Notre Dame (BOOOO)
- Yanni Karlaftis - OLB/S - West Lafayette HS - Crystal Ball 50% Purdue
- Donaven McCulley - QB - Lawrence North HS - No Crystal Ball
- Luke Collinsworth - OL - East Central HS - No Crystal Ball
- Rodney McGraw - DE - Elkhart Central HS - 100% Michigan Crystal Ball (BOOO)
- Kyran Montgomery - DE - Pike HS - Undecided Crystal Ball
- Daylan Carnell - CB - Ben Davis HS - Notre Dame Crystal Ball (BOO)
- Cooper Jones - DE - Valparaiso HS - Notre Dame Crystal Ball (AGAIN, BOO)
- Ron Powlus III - QB - Mishawaka HS - Undecided Crystal Ball
- Preston Terrell - WR - Brownsburg HS - Committed to Purdue (YAY!)
- Austin Booker - DE - Center Grove HS - Undecided Crystal Ball
- Joshua Sales - OT - Brownsburg HS - Undecided Crystal Ball
- Zach Richards - OG - Mooresville HS - Crystal Ball 100% Purdue!
- JoJo Johnson - WR - Morton Senior HS - No Purdue Offer
- John Hofer - Valparaiso HS - No Purdue Offer
Okay, so lets not even consider people that are 100% crystal ball to ND or that are committed to ND (BOO FISHER BOO)
I think of the list of players that are left Purdue may get three to five of them. Here is my narrowed down list.
- Preston Terrell - 3* WR - Committed to Purdue
- Yanni Karlaftis - 4* OLB/S - He is right in our backyard. Would have a chance to play with his brother for a year or two. Exceptional athlete. Will have to fight off some real big time schools to get him
- Zach Richards - 3* OG - He has been open that he likes Purdue a lot on Twitter. We are one of his longest standing offers.
- Luke Collinsworth - 4* OT - An extremely talented offensive lineman. Purdue strikes out on Fisher, but I think Collinsworth may be better anyway. Eron Hodges said he wants to build a monster OL this class. Colinsworth would be the centerpiece of it.
- (Long Shot but would love this) Donaven McCulley 4* QB - I had a chance to watch some of his film this year, as he had a common opponent that we played late in the season, Donaven has an absolute cannon. I think he lacks a bit of accuracy. He is a national recruit and will be hard to lock down. But he is a hell of an athlete and a good QB. He would be a great.
I truly have no idea. I would love to really go after those 5 guys I listed above. In state guys have come in and played pretty early in their career under Brohm and I see that trend continuing with Gus Hartwig this upcoming season.
Oh ya, here is all of their highlight tapes from their Junior seasons.