We lost to Eastern Michigan. Here are 5 things I learned, add more to the comments!
- Discipline? - This is two weeks in a row now that late game penalties have hurt us. Today, it was Cornel Jones pushing of the quarterback back down into the ground after a crucial sack that probably would have won us the game had there not been a penalty. Then there was the pass interference that put them at the 20. We had many chances to win, but there just seems to be a lack of discipline right now, particularly on the defensive side of the ball, penalties are killing us.
- Turnovers - Today, there were five fumbles (losing two). Last Week it was three interceptions by Eli. Currently we are -4 in the turnover department and that isn’t ideal. You don’t win games when you turn the ball over. Now, the weather had some effect on this, but at some point blame can be placed on the backs. EMU still took care of the ball, there is no excuse.
- Quarterback Play - Abysmal, again. Both quarterbacks struggled. Blough couldn’t stretch the field, so he didn’t play the 2nd half. Eli did good early, but tapered off with inaccuracy in the 2nd half. EMU threw for around 300 yards, we should have been able to do the same. While we dominated on the ground, the quarterbacks were underwhelming.
- Linebackers - I thought they struggled today, particularly in pass coverage. In time where Smiley would have came in for the Nickel, we kept three linebackers out there. Over and over again we were hit with a strike over the middle.
- Kicking - Spencer Evans missed a field goal and an extra point. Eastern Michigan kicker was perfect. There really is no excuse. Do we need to bring in the reliever Dellinger?
What did you guys learn today?