Purdue is in the midst of a terrible start to the season. We are 0-3, but the 3 losses are by a combined 8 points. Really, we are a few plays away from being 2-1 or 3-0. Mistakes happen, as we have seen early on this season.
Mistakes happen more so when we have used as many freshmen or sophomores that we have used.
I have counted 24. 24 young players that have helped us early on this season. Now, this number will continue to increase as we continue to struggle. Also, we will see more freshman throughout the season with the new rule of getting up to 4 games and being able to maintain your redshirt. Here are the players that I have seen play and their production, so far.
- Rondale Moore - 25 Receptions, 262 Yards, 2 Touchdowns, 4 Carries, 128 Yards, 1 Touchdown. 571 All-purpose yards (Most on the team by 310).
- Jaylan Alexander - Primarily Special Teams, listed as back up LB.
- Elijah Ball - Primarily Special Teams, listed as back up DB.
- Jeff Marks - Has been in the defensive line rotation, 1 tackle.
- Willie Lane - Was in defensive line rotation vs Mizzou, first action of the season.
- Cory Trice - Listed as back up safety. Played mostly special teams.
- Dedrick Mackey - Been in rotation all season at Corner. 2 tackles.
- Kenneth Major - Started Vs. Mizzou, has been in constant rotation at Corner. 11 tackles, 1 interception.
- Giovanni Reviere - 6 tackles, starting defensive end.
- Robert McWilliams III - Has mostly been in on special teams.
- Alexander Horvath - Special Teams hero. Blocking Fullback.
- Jared Sparks - Starting wide receiver - 13 receptions, 138 Yards.
- Simeon Smiley - Starting Nickel Corner, 1 tackle.
- Anthony Watts - Starting defensive tackle, 14 Tackles.
- Cornel Jones - Starting linebacker, 22 tackles, 2.5 sacks.
- Derrick Barnes - Starting linebacker, 25 tackles, 1 sack.
- Tobias Larry - Back up linebacker, 2 tackles.
- Grant Hermanns - Starting left tackle.
- Darius Pittman - Back up Tight end, used mostly as a blocker.
- Jackson Anthrop - Back up slot receiver, 3 catches 23 yards.
- Benaiah Franklin - Mostly used on special teams.
- Semisi Fakasiieiki - Back up defensive end, 3 tackles.
- Brennan Thieneman - Reserve Safety and Special Teamer.
- Keyron Catlett - Reserve Wide Receiver. Played last year without a reception.
Whew, that is a lot of youth. In the long run, playing this youth will pay off, but short term, we may suffer. It happens, we knew this would happen. Coach Brohm has sent a lot of DH recruits away in the past two years, leaving a void of upper classmen.
You will see this number increase the rest of the season and next year as well with the highly touted 2019 class coming in ready to play.