The final warm-up to the World University Games was today in Taiwan against Norway and PurdUeSA rolled to an easy victory. Vince Edwards and Isaac Haas were basically Thor and Loki, bringing destruction to the wannabe Vikings from Norway in an easy 81-49 win.
This was a laugher from the start. PurdUeSA led 25-4 after the first 10-minute quarter and never looked back. We struggled in the second quarter as Norway came back with a 23-9 run, but PurdUeSA blasted the Norwegians by an impressive 39-13 in the 10-minute third quarter.
Haas and Edwards were excellent. They combined to go 15 of 16 from the floor with Vince hitting four threes. They had 37 points and 9 rebounds. Walk-on Grady Eifert continued his solid play with 10 points on 4 of 7 shooting. Jacquil Taylor was solid on the glass with five points and 12 rebounds., while P.J. Thompson had 6 points and 6 assists without a turnover.
Here are some other notable stats:
- Carsen Edwards struggled, going 3 of 9 with 8 points and 5 rebounds.
- Haas finished with 16 points and Edwards had 21. Haas was a perfect 7 for 7 from the floor.
- Ryan Cline was 0 for 4 from three, but still had 7 points.
- Eden Ewing, Sasha Stefanovic, and Aaron Wheeler were both scoreless in 41 combined minutes.
- Eifert scored his 10 points in just 9 minutes, so he could be playing his way into being a rotation player.
- Nojel Eastern, the other freshman, was 2 of 5 from the floor with 5 points and 3 rebounds.
The competition begins for real on Sunday at 5:30am ET against Argentina.