Today was secret scrimmage day! As always, we cannot talk about much, especially before hand, but some reports are leaking out and we have good news. No. 20 Purdue took on No. 11 West Virginia in Columbus, OH behind closed doors and was able to take care of business. We even had a few highlights.
We do not have a final score or a box score, but per Nathan Baird at the Lafayette Journal & Courier we know the following:
- Purdue won, and quite easily. He said Purdue pulled away, won by double digits, and led by double digits for most of the half. This is the second straight year Purdue and WEst Virginia have played and last year West Virginia won. Matt Painter has done this hte last two years with the explicit reason of, “we want West Virginia to press the hell out of us as an offensive stress test.” Since Purdue won by double digits over a top 15 team this is a good sign.
- Purdue still had 16 turnovers.
- Purdue won the rebounding battle by 6.
- Jacquil Taylor did not play, so his first season action looks like it will be Friday if he is cleared.
- All five starters reportedly scored in double figures, while Jevon Carter of West Virginia went apeshit. GBI said he went for nearly 40 points.
The final bit of information from baird is that Taylor received a good MRI and will likely play in Friday’s season opener vs. SIU-Edwardsville.