In this week's edition of depth charts it looks like there is a major change for the defense. Sean Robinson, Purdue's starting middle linebacker, suffered a knee injury Saturday at Illinois and this week he is not listed at all on the depth chart. That means he is very likely out this week, and maybe for the year. Here was a tweet from GBI earlier today:
No official word on LB Sean Robinson from Darrell Hazell today. Robinson getting MRI. But doesn't look good. #Purdue— GoldandBlack.com (@GoldandBlackcom) October 6, 2014
Robinson has come a very, VERY long way in his career at Purdue. After coming in and playing as a quarterback as a true freshman (even starting a game) he shifted to linebacker out of need. He struggled at times, but this year has been pretty solid. He is currently third on the team in tackles with 42 and has a sack along with two pass breakups.
Here is how it affects the depth chart:
QB: 1. Austin Appleby 2. Danny Etling
RB: 1. Akeem Hunt 2. Raheem Mostert OR Keyante Green
WR: 1. DeAngelo Yancey 2. Gregory Phillips
WR: 1. Danny Anthrop 2. Cameron Posey
WR: 1. B.J. Knauf 2. Trae Hart OR Dan Monteroso
LT: 1. David Hedelin 2. Cameron Cermin
LG: 1. Jason King 2. Jason Tretter
C: 1. Robert Kugler 2. Cameron Cermin
RG: 1. Jordan Roos 2. Corey Clements
RT: 1. J.J. Prince 2. Cameron Cermin
TE: 1. Gabe Holmes 2. Justin Sinz
DT: 1. Jake Replogle 2. Michael Rouse III
NG: 1. Ra'Zahn Howard 2. Ryan Watson
DE: 1. Ryan Russell 2. Evan Panfil
RE: 1. Jalani Phillips 2. Gelen Robinson
Will: 1. Ja'Whaun Bentley 2. Danny Ezechukwu
Mike: 1. Danny Ezechukwu OR Andy James Garcia 2. Garrett Hudson
Sam: 1. Jimmy Herman 2. Andy James Garcia
CB: 1. Anthony Brown 2. Leroy Clark
SS: 1. Frankie Williams 2. Taylor Richards
FS: 1. Landon Feichter 2. Austin Logan
CB: 1. Antoine Lewis 2. Da'Wan Hunte
Kickoffs: Paul Griggs
- David Hedelin appears to have taken over the left tackle spot, as he played there most of the Illinois game.
- Cameron Cermin has become the experienced backup that rotates at right tackle, but can still play inside. The line has greatly firmed up because of it.
- Frankie Williams has really taken over at safety after being primarily a corner in his career.
- The loss of Robinson (and previously Joe Gilliam) means that Purdue lost its two most experienced linebackers. Everyone on the depth chart is now a freshman or sophomore, with Hudson and Ezechukwu playing only a little this year. Ezechukwu has five tackles and half a sack while Hudson (the son of our defensive coordinator) has played very sparingly.
- Garcia moves back up after playing extensively last season.
- Purdue needs more production from its receivers, especially this week. Yancey and Posey each have only eight receptions on the season. Hunt, Anthrop, and Sinz are the only three players in double-digit receptions.