Coach Hazell has unveiled the depth chart of Saturday's opener at Cincinnati and it is as follows:
FB: 1. Kurt Freytag 2. David Yancey
LG: 1. Devin Smith 2. Jason King
C: 1. Robert Kugler 2. Cody Davis
DE: 1. Ryan Russell 2. Jalani Phillips
LB: 1. Joe Gilliam 2. Will Lucas
CB: 1. Ricardo Allen 2. Normando Harris
CB: 1. Frankie Williams 2. Antoine Lewis
S: 1 Taylor Richards 2. Anthony Brown
KR: 1. Raheem Mostert 2. Akeem Hunt
PR: 1. Frankie Williams 2. B.J. Knauf
LS: 1. Jesse Schmitt 2. John Bednar
- Only a handful of positions are three deep, with the No. 3 guys likely to play some at Cincinnati except Etling at quarterback
- I was surprised to see Macarthy moved out of a starting spot, but he has been bothered by a knee injury. That leaves Purdue two starting receivers with a total of two collegiate catches.
- Devin Smith and Joe Gilliam were the most questionable players, as both were battling minor injuries but appear to be back into form. Keep an eye on their spots on Saturday.
- Armstead Williams at starting linebacker is a surprise, but Purdue could use his speed over Garcia. Collin Link, a walk-on, makes his first appearance on the two-deeps. He is the younger brother of former starter Logan Link.
- Speaking of brothers, Evan Feichter is now backing his brother, Landon.
- DeAngelo Yancey and David Yancey (no relation) also earned their way on as true freshmen.
- Etling, The Yancey's, Dawkins, and likely Austin Logan on special teams are the most likely true freshmen to play and avoid redshirt.
- Paul Griggs has won the kicker's duel for now. As always, if he struggles McCartney will be right there.
- Cottom/Dawkins at RB and Lewis/Williams were listed "or" at their respective spots. Given a five-DB nickel set meant both Lewis and Williams will play a lot, especially given Cincy's passing game.