I watched the scrimmage today, given we had no open thread going let's discuss here. Here are my observations:
1. PG battle seems pretty close, but I'd lean towards Bryson starting. Bad news is they play the exact same offensive game - no shooting and all driving. Good news is they both can drive pretty well, which should help create offense for others. Given their offensive games are so similar, I think it will come down to defense, energy and decision making - and hence Bryson will claim the starting spot for the next 4 years.
2. Sterling Carter can shoot!! Think he made 5 treys today. Pretty nice looking stroke too.
3. Kendall also looked good shooting today - although he didn't shoot a lot. He's just a smooth player with a great stroke - he will be perfect playing alongside AJH.
4. RayD is not any better on offense as we was last year - he is still not aggressive and he still can't shoot too well. He brings defense and rebounding to the table, but that's about it. I think RayD starts game 1, but Kendall takes his spot by B1G play due to offense and shooting.
5. Basil looked really good. He made a couple open 3's, had a bunch of high activity plays including tip-ins, rebounds, and blocks - and then had one thunderous dunk in traffic! Kid looks pretty good - I still think Peck starts but don't be surprised if Basil takes his spot mid-year.
6. I'm still concerned with our shooting. 95% of the points today came within 10 feet of the rim - or on the FT line. Good news is we shot well from the FT line. Bad news is we still have a lot of guys who can't score from beyond 10 feet. RJ, TJ, RayD, Bryson will all be high volume shooters - and none are reliable from outside of 10 feet. This may mean that Carter and Kendall play a lot this year - as they are the only reliable shooters we have.
7. Simpson was not impressive today. I think all the hype could be just that - hype. He had several post scoring chances, and didn't convert. Mostly shot fade-away jumpers, or 20 footers - and he didn't make either. Honestly, I hardly noticed he was even playing today.
8. Best offensive weapons this year appear to be TJ, RJ, and Bryson attacking, Carter/Kendall shooting open shots, and AJH posting. Seems beyond that, offense will be tough to come by for the other guys (although Basil can score off of others due to his activity and athleticism)...
What did everyone else notice today?